Regarding Map Making
Started by Ranma

1 posts in this topic
Ranma
1/2 Admin

65 posts 5 threads Joined: Jan 2017
02-19-2017, 02:30 PM -
I'm seeing a lot of people get into making maps for the server, and that's fine and dandy, but I feel like people are jumping on this train as a fad and quickly realizing that they either don't want to make a map or don't have time/skills needed to make a map. I'm already seeing a couple of these map threads end in progress being halted or silently swept under the rug. I'm aware that this is stated in the map making guidelines, but I think it needs to be reiterated.

Quote:Do not waste your time building a map unless you are really good at it. If the map is not as good or better than the maps currently on the server it will not be accepted. I do not want to waste anyone's time so please be sure you are up to the task.

To add to the above quote, there's no need to rush into making a map for the server while it's the "hip" thing to do. Take your time and don't make a thread about your map until you've got at least something to show for it. Maybe you could drop some pictures on the bl forum thread and get some suggestions, but if you've got flat out nothing there's no need to make a thread for it. It's like being the ideas guy on kickstarter with no video and a really bad explanation of what the product is. Don't jump into it until you've got something that looks nice. It doesn't need to be a finished product of course, because you'll want to have player input before it's done so you don't spend a year making adjustments and changing things you already made.
Freeday

23 posts 3 threads Joined: Jan 2017
02-19-2017, 03:08 PM -
Thanks for posting this, amazing how some people want to rush out a map that just becomes a waste of a topic. Ive seen atleast 3-4 maps that have been given up on.
King of Batons