Manoyama Adventures ◇ Turn 8 on Page 21!
Started by Ostinyo

221 posts in this topic
Ostinyo
Super Admin

383 posts 22 threads Joined: Jan 2017
12-18-2017, 06:12 PM -
[Image: BbVNyIt.png]

This forum game takes place in the world of the Crimson Prince trilogy (some weird thing I'm slowly writing). To learn more about it you can read the first four episodes, but be warned I have revamped the magic system since writing them and will eventually rewrite a lot. I have prepared multiple events, conflicts, and secrets which will arise and may be discovered.

◇◇◇ PLAYERS ◇◇◇
You can create a character up until January 15 using the format below. After that time you can message me if you really want a character, but I won't be allowing random submissions in the thread.
Maximum 2 characters per player.

Common to all Player Characters:
Year: 1
Tuition: 2000 silvers per month

Character Template
Name:
Background:
Allegiance:
Personality:
Motivation:

The specific options for home city and background are discussed below. Please stay away from creating characters that match already existing characters.

Each character will be assigned a class upon creation. Because this is an academy (similar to college), it is up to your own discretion whether to attend classes and school events. Missing classes and other events may have significant consequences, such as not gaining experience points or failing exams.

◇◇◇ SETTING ◇◇◇
World Map:
[Image: LPdkVwY.png]
Hotagi Map:
[Image: VFHlYnt.png]
Manoyama Academy Map:
[Image: VAlApGe.png]

Politics of Hotagi
Welcome to Hotagi, a country which is undergoing much political turmoil in the light of the discovery of magic 200 years ago. In order to control the spread of magical knowledge, the Tamai Monarchy instituted a required "magic license", required for anyone to perform magic in Hotagi. Furthermore, registered Magicians are subject to a "magic tax"; 10,000 silvers (Hotagi's currency) each year. The Monarchy says this serves to ensure registered Magicians retain their abilities, but many see this as a simple way for the Monarchy to oppress it's power over magicians.

Magicians throughout the country have banded together into the Magician Liberation Party (MLP) in hopes of removing the burdensome taxes and liberating magicians from strict government oversight. The MLP believes it would be beneficial for magic to be unrestricted, as potential criminals would be dismayed by the numerous powerful magicians in society. However, critics of the MLP point to the Crimson Knights, a radical group of magicians that uses violent means to achieve their own idea of retribution for oppressed magicians. Although the MLP attempts to distance itself from this terrorist organization, the Crimson Knights have made a public declaration of friendship with the MLP.

The onset of magic has also provided a boost to technological development and industry in Hotagi. However, many workers have been forced out of their jobs in favor of more efficient magicians. Because of the many lay-offs and difficulty of finding a decent paying job, workers around the country (including magicians) have banded into the Union of Workers. They want the Monarchy to demand that corporations ensure better wages and working conditions, as well as ease restrictions on learning magic like the MLP.

Manoyama Academy
180 years ago, Manoyama Academy was founded by Talingar the Great. Talingar was instrumental in ending the Great Cataclysm, a sudden war brought on by the discovery of magic in the natural world. Although the war only lasted throughout the year of 781, the magicians responsible for its triggering slaughtered droves of people. Unprepared to handle the outburst of magic, many cities were toppled and the entire country of Ruwana was laid to waste. When the war spread across the Bascal Sea to Hotagi, it was Talingar the Great who rallied against the foreign magicians and saved Ramburagi from utter destruction. After ending the Great Cataclysm, Talingar the Great founded the first school for training magic; Manoyama Academy.

[Image: f6miYOE.png]

Possible Home Cities:
- Ramburagi (Manoyama Academy)
- Kamuro (Capital of Hotagi)
- Fortuka (Port city)
- Molira (Farmlands)
- Intika (Industrial)
- Gladmar (Militaristic, Gladmar Academy)
- Rotochi (Sakuhana Institute)
Note: Being from Gladmar or Rotochi would be rather strange because they have their own magic academies, so maybe think of a reason why you chose Manoyama Academy. You may also choose to be from another country, excluding the Ishuken Empire (currently at war with Hotagi, Cobreen, and Solkura).

Possible Backgrounds:
Your background will change the amount of spending money you start with. Money (silvers) aren't that useful since your tuition is already being payed for, but you can sometimes use it to assist in persuasion.
- Poor (1000 silvers) (Limit: 3 -- 0 remaining)
- Working Class (2000 silvers)
- Upper Class (5000 silvers) (Limit: 5 -- 2 remaining)
- Noble (10000 silvers) (Limit: 1 -- 0 remaining)

Possible Allegiances:
- None
- Tamai Monarchy
- Magician Liberation Party (The Crimson Knights side with them)
- Union of Workers

Other Magic Academies:
Gladmar Academy
[Image: iwT9ew1.png]
Sakuhana Institute
[Image: JZTqsWc.png]

◇◇◇ CHARACTERS ◇◇◇
The following characters already exist.

Authority:
- King Farnir Tamai
- Queen Resmala
- Prince Arima
- Princess Kanami
- Sir Joralif (court mage)
- Principal Foliart

Instructors:
- Instructor Tanaka (Transformation)
- Instructor Minori (Combat)
- Instructor Eclieth (Illusion)
- Instructor Woskian (Translocation)
- Instructor Razami (Restoration)

First Year Students:
- Azuma Tamagi
- Mikoto Moriko
- Koji Tatsuo
- Satori Kimiko
- Rana Hayashi
- Wanabi Birkov
- Moliarth Vespiri
- Shingo Vespiri
- Sami Jotaro
- Nakashima (Nakashi) Kiro
- Christopher (Chris) Hogan
- Trinick Yamaki
- Pamira Yamaki
- Rin Amiri
- Erin Zoruka

Second Year Students:
- Yotogi Quruma
- Futsubi Sarame
- Hamuko Anush
- Geo Fernity
- Dojiro Toraz

Third Year Students:
- Kymira Rinset
- Akundra Tarsol

◇◇◇ PERIODS ◇◇◇
Each turn takes place during one "period". On this turn you may choose an action I provide or determine a custom action, although the custom action may have no effect. Each school day consists of 4 periods; three for each class and one for the evening. Each non-school day consists of 3 periods; one for the morning, one for the afternoon, and one for the evening. Actions may have different effects and bonuses based on the time of day. If you do not select an action within 1 day of the period's posting, you will default to either "Do nothing" or "Go to class and study".

Common Actions:
- Do nothing
- Go to class X and study
- Try making friends
- Talk to Instructor X about Y
- Talk to student X about Y
- Pick a fight with student X
- Go to the library and get a book on X
- Read book X (books can only give EXP once)
- Go to downtown Ramburagi and do X

Traveling to another city in Hotagi consumes one period (Manoyama Academy is located in Ramburagi, so you don't need to travel there). Whenever you go to a location a description of what is there will be provided.

Class Schedules
[Image: qsPz4jE.png]

◇◇◇ LEVELING ◇◇◇
Each character will begin at level 1. There are many different skills that may be leveled (starting at 0 and maxing out at 10), and together they will affect your overall level. The higher your skill level, the more likely it is that an action using that skill will be successful. Magic skills may be leveled by gaining EXP at classes (100 per class), school events, or in battles. Character skills may be leveled depending on successful character interactions and events.

[Image: Vx3t8i7.png]

Magic Skills:
- Transformation: Fundamental magic that manipulates the surrounding world
- Combat: Magic specifically designed for battle scenarios
- Illusion: Magic that bends light to trick the eyes
- Translocation: Magic that copies material from one location to another
- Restoration: Magic that restores bodily injuries or broken objects

Character Skills:
- Intelligence: Makes passing school tests and figuring out clues easier
- Friendship: Makes talking to strangers and making friends easier
- Persuasion: Makes attempts to persuade characters more likely to succeed
- Stealth: Increases the chance of going undetected
- Romance: Increases the chance of winning over the hearts of others

Increasing a character's overall level will increase their maximum hit points and stamina. Level chart:
[Image: wqqmtZp.png]

◇◇◇ BATTLE ◇◇◇
The only time you can perform more than one action in a period is if you get into a fight. Fights may be started from disputes or school activities. Each battle action should be learned before being attempted, otherwise there will be a 1% success chance and 50% chance of self-damage. Because fights do not typically involve all of the players, please be active when one begins so we can quickly finish the battle and get to the next period. If you do not select a battle action within 6 hours of the turn's posting, you will default to "Evade".

Battle Actions:
Defensive
- Flee (Level): Has a chance of escaping the fight equal to the number of Hit Points remaining minus 10% for each overall level of the enemy
- Evade (Combat): Makes enemy attacks 10% less likely to land for each combat level
- Shield (costs 5 stamina) (Combat): Increases chance of stopping attacks by 20% for each combat level to a max of 100%
- Camouflage (costs 5 stamina) (Illusion): Makes enemy attacks 15% less likely to land for each illusion level to a max of 60%
- Evasive Flight (costs 5 stamina) (Transformation): Makes enemy attacks 20% less likely to land for each transformation level
- Afterimage (costs 10 stamina) (Illusion): Makes enemy attacks 25% less likely to land for each illusion level to a max of 100%
- Teleport (costs 50 stamina) (Translocation): Makes enemy attacks 100% less likely to land and allows the character to perform another battle action immediately that is 10% more likely to land than normal for each overall level

Attacks
- Bolt Attack (deals 10 dmg, costs 1 stamina) (Combat)
- Brute Assault (deals 35 dmg, costs 10 stamina) (Transformation)
- Feinting Attack (deals 25 dmg, costs 5 stamina) (Combat): Increases chance of damaging through a shield by 15% for each combat level to a max of 75%
- Wide Area Attack (deals 20 dmg, costs 15 stamina) (Combat): Increases chance of attack landing by 30% for each combat level to a max of 120%

Healing
- Minor Restoration (heals 15 hp, costs 10 stamina) (Restoration)
- Major Restoration (heals 50 hp, costs 35 stamina) (Restoration)

Note: In battles between more than 2 characters the maximum of the enemies' levels will be used when determining chances.
DISCLAIMER: These actions will be modified before starting for balancing & more may come into play over time.

Battle actions may cost some amount of stamina and are linked to specific skills. If the battle is between more than 2 characters, you MUST specify who your action is targeting. Unlike with normal actions, you may not come up with custom actions during a battle. I will determine the battle actions of any non-player characters involved in battles, as well as their respective levels and success rates. Although EXTREMELY unlikely, I may decide to change the roll result to make the plot more interesting. You could call it "the author's direction".

If a character performs a battle action that does NOT use stamina, they will regain 5 stamina on that turn. When one of the characters is brought down to 0 HP, they will pass out from their wounds. The winning character may then choose what action to take.

Example battle turn:
Character 1 uses Shield (Combat Level 7 - 100% chance of stopping attacks)

Character 2 uses Feinting Attack (Combat Level 6 - 75% chance of damaging through shield)

Character 1's chance of stopping attack: 100% - 75% = 25%
Roll is 53, attack succeeds! (Would have failed if <= 25)

Character 1 Stats (Level 5):
HP: 140 - 25 = 115
Stamina: 120 - 5 = 115

Character 2 Stats (Level 4):
HP: 130
Stamina: 115 - 5 = 110

Battle (Character 1 vs Character 2): Turn 2
Choose your next battle action!

◇◇◇ PLAYER CHARACTERS ◇◇◇
John Smith
Owner: Clockworker
Home City: Kamuro
Background: Upper class
Allegiance: None
Personality: Classy, skilled, witty
Motivation: I saw Harry Potter and though that was pretty cool plus I have a family history of skilled wizards so I think I'll do well

Ray Scott
Owner: Padillac
Home City: Fortuka
Background: Working Class (family of fishermen)
Personality: Charismatic, ocean lover, extremely romantic/gets all the babes
Motivation: He wants to go to school so he can create a magical fishing lure to make fishing better for his family so he can be the very best fisherman.

Genghis Khan
Owner: The Genghis Khan
Home City: Ramburagi
Background: Upper Class
Personality: Militaristic
Motivation: CONQUER EVERYTHING

Emelia Will
Owner: Skeletal
Background: Working Class
Personality: Smart, romantic, sneaky and peaceful.
Motivation: I'd like to go the Manoyama School because I want to raise my education level and find a good job in the future.

Ichiro Ito
Owner: BlueFang24
Background: Poor - steals from upper middle-class/rich to help sustain his family.
Allegiance: Non-aligned, but supports the Union of Workers' reform ideas. Also is a believer in equality because of his past, so he agrees with the Magician Liberation Party. Lastly there is no love lost between him and the monarchy, nobles and those who are rich and powerful by "birthright".
Personality: Sneaky, determined. Loyal to close friends and family. Thieves' honor and whatnot.
Motivation: He has always been poor, never a time since his dad died when he was about 3 had he enjoyed wealth. His dream was always to become a wizard and his mom scrounged up enough money to get him to the academy. Now he wants to learn spells to pull his mother out of poverty.

Hitojo ("Hito") Yoshiwara
Owner: The Hoff
Background: Noble
Personality: Greedy, selfish, immoral bastard who just wants power and to be as strong as possible. His family runs one of the largest banks in the country, and they (his father especially) has lots of connections to corporations in the region, and are associates of the Tamai monarchy. These connections allow the Yoshiwara Family to have a lot of power despite not being corporate, military, or political leaders. Despite being too autistic to be charismatic or too weak to be a s t r o n k Bulk Bogan, he can do his convincing and heart-snatching with his money.
Motivation: He just also wants to learn magic to use to consolidate even more power in the nation.

Akihiko ("Aki") Fujushina
Owner: The Hoff
Home City: Intika
Background: Poor
Allegiance: Union of Workers
Personality: Has more angst than a school shooter due to years of class oppression and being at the bottom of society, not cared for. This is why he joined the Union of Workers, he wants a workers revolution. Has muscles and strength from his factory work. Very charismatic, persuasive, and romantic, and can easily get a girlfriend or side hoe despite being poor and all that.
Motivation: He wants to learn magic to help aid in the worker's revolution and to break the socio-economic barriers of magic academies

Ava Human
Owner: Rocket
Personality: Normal human being
Motivation: To get enough food to raise her family of 3

Kotone Miu
Owner: Communism
Home City: Rotochi
Personality: Funny, charismatic
Motivation: Family died, so had to move in with a friends family instead. They proceeded to Ramburagi for school and jobs, so went to school with my friend but then friend did something bad and now they're gone!

◇◇◇ ASSIGNMENTS ◇◇◇
First Year Dormitories
Room 23 - Ray Scott, Genghis Khan, Wanabi Birkov, and Koji Tatsuo
Room 26 - John Smith, Hitojo Yoshiwara, Christopher Hogan, and Trinick Yamaki
Room 31 - Azuma Tamagi, Mikoto Moriko, Sami Jotaro, and Nakashima Kiro
Room 37 - Kotone Miu, Ava Human, Satori Kimiko, and Rana Hayashi
Room 44 - Ichiro Ito, Akihiko Fujushina, Moliarth Vespiri, and Shingo Vespiri
Room 47 - Emelia Will, Pamira Yamaki, Rin Amiri, and Erin Zoruka

Class A:
Genghis Khan
Hitojo Yoshiwara
Kotone Miu

Pamira Yamaki
Rin Amiri
Erin Zoruka

Class B:
John Smith
Emelia Will
Akihiko Fujushina

Azuma Tamagi
Mikoto Moriko
Koji Tatsuo
Satori Kimiko
Rana Hayashi
Wanabi Birkov
Moliarth Vespiri
Shingo Vespiri

Class C:
Ray Scott
Ichiro Ito
Ava Human

Sami Jotaro
Nakashima Kiro
Christopher Hogan
Trinick Yamaki

◇◇◇ TURN HISTORY ◇◇◇
Turn 1
Turn 2
Turn 3
Turn 4
Turn 5
Turn 6
Turn 7
Turn 8
This post was last modified: 04-01-2018, 05:42 PM by Ostinyo.
BlueFang24

152 posts 4 threads Joined: Jun 2017
12-18-2017, 07:44 PM -
Okay, it looks really good for starters with good detail and rules.  It also seems there is some sort of plan/set path for the story instead of doing whatever pops into your head *cough* ROCKET *cough* I'll be making a character once I figure out some sort of backstory.
Clockworker
Administrator

40 posts 1 threads Joined: Jan 2017
12-18-2017, 08:43 PM -
Name: John Smith (tried to pick a really western name)
Home City: Kamuro
Personality: Classy, skilled, witty
Motivation: I saw Harry Potter and though that was pretty cool plus I have a family history of skilled wizards so I think I'll do well

Hopefully you go through with this because I just spent 10 hours on this bio
Ostinyo
Super Admin

12-18-2017, 08:55 PM -
Wow what an amazingly in-depth bio. I'm pretty sure Harry Potter doesn't exist in this world but I guess it does now.
The Hoff

896 posts 45 threads Joined: Jan 2017
12-18-2017, 08:56 PM -
Name: Hitojo "Hito" Tamai Yoshiwara
Background: Noble
Allegiance: Tamai Monarchy
Personality: Greedy, selfish, immoral bastard who just wants power and to be as strong as possible. His family (his father especially) has lots of connections to corporations in the region and is he is one of the secret puppetmasters of the corporations. Hell, he may as well be the prince. 
Motivation: But thing is, he has to come of age and show the potential to match or to one-up his father, who is a very influential monarch/leader. He must come of age and be powerful in order to become king or prince. So there's that, but he just also wants to learn magic to use to consolidate even more power in the nation

more characters coming soon, i just had to snatch that noble slot

Name: Akihiko "Aki" Fujushina
Home City: Intika
Allegiance: Union of Workers
Personality: Has more angst than a school shooter due to years of class oppression and being at the bottom of society, not cared for. This is why he joined the Union of Workers, he wants a workers revolution.
Motivation: He wants to learn magic to help aid in the worker's revolution and to break the socio-economic barriers of magic academies

Name: Hironada "Hiro" Senhodu
Home City: Gladmar
Allegiance: Tamai Monarchy
Personality: intelligent, calculated, brutal, but caring for his fellow comrades. He is also damn tough. He seems to inherit the best from his military father, Sakoyu Sikoro, the general of the Hotagi army. Motivation: However, Sakoyu is pretty much the Japanese Chad Thundercock (minus the violence towards retarded people) due to his background and persona, so he has legitimate AND illegitimate children from his many wives and side hoes. He sends his illegitimate children to Manoyama because Manoyama is the best civilian academy in the nation, and his legit children go to the Gladmar academy to continue his legacy as THE military general.

Name: Kikorito "Kiko" Shinoda
Home City: Molira
Background: Working Class
Allegiance: None as of yet
Personality: Moral, caring, humble, always outgoing and nice, calm and collected, palms are sweaty from all the farmwork to make mom's spaghetti. He is the average likeable guy in the middle: not driven by the greed and jingoism of the upper class or the angst and dissatisfaction of the really poor people. He gives anything he has extra of or doesn't need to people in need, so those lower than him like him. And he works for himself and for his family, not some corporate millionaires like Hitojo, so those above him don't really care for him.
Motivation: He wants to go to Manoyama simply to better his lifestyle. He is not in it for WHOA LOOK MAGIC TIME TO KILL ALL WHO DISAGREE, he just wants a higher education in order to lift his family off the poverty of the farmland.
This post was last modified: 12-18-2017, 09:15 PM by The Hoff.
BL_ID: 42057

hello. if you happened to come back to this dead forum to re-read my forum games, i.e. The Vigilante, Infinity Tower, Criminal Business (for nostalgia?), you are out of luck. I saved each game to my computer in PDF form. Needless to say, these forum games are probably deleted. However, if you pm me on Discord (Oh shit, he#4107), I might be able to give them to you.

Why?
1. too much references to stuff close IRL friends or family will understand.
2. shit writing
3. a few things in CB prob put me on a list

So yeah.
Ostinyo
Super Admin

12-18-2017, 09:05 PM -
(12-18-2017, 08:56 PM)The Hoff Wrote: more characters coming soon, i just had to snatch that noble slot

(12-18-2017, 06:12 PM)Ostinyo Wrote: Only one character per player.

smh

idk maybe the limit should be 2
This post was last modified: 12-18-2017, 09:05 PM by Ostinyo.
The Hoff

896 posts 45 threads Joined: Jan 2017
12-18-2017, 09:16 PM -
(12-18-2017, 09:05 PM)Ostinyo Wrote: smh

idk maybe the limit should be 2

yea increase limit to 2 and have hito and aki in

it will be interesting to have two guys of the extreme opposite sides of the social-economic spectrum, both of them having extremely radical ideologies, be in the same classes
This post was last modified: 12-18-2017, 09:20 PM by The Hoff.
BL_ID: 42057

hello. if you happened to come back to this dead forum to re-read my forum games, i.e. The Vigilante, Infinity Tower, Criminal Business (for nostalgia?), you are out of luck. I saved each game to my computer in PDF form. Needless to say, these forum games are probably deleted. However, if you pm me on Discord (Oh shit, he#4107), I might be able to give them to you.

Why?
1. too much references to stuff close IRL friends or family will understand.
2. shit writing
3. a few things in CB prob put me on a list

So yeah.
Ostinyo
Super Admin

12-18-2017, 11:08 PM -
So Hiro and Kiko are just extra characters you made for no reason?

You're going to have to remove Tamai and make the noble just Hitojo Yoshiwara. Only the Tamai family (Hotagi royalty) has that as their last name.
Padillac

103 posts 6 threads Joined: Jan 2017
12-18-2017, 11:23 PM -
Name: Ray Scott
Background: Family of fishermen/worker class
Personality: charismatic, Ocean lover(not sure if that's possible LOL),THOT aka extremely romantic/ get's all the babes
Motivation: He wants to go to school so he can create a magical fishing lure to make fishing better for his family so he can be the very best fisherman.
Just drop in and smack the lip, then after that you just drop in drop out, aragagagra.
The Genghis Khan
Shitposter

697 posts 48 threads Joined: Jan 2017
12-19-2017, 01:33 AM -
Name: The Genghis Khan
Personality: find one for me
Motivation: CONQUER EVERYTHING
hi there