Poll: Is this helpful?
This poll is closed.
Its good, you're onto something.
87.50%
7 87.50%
Its alright, theres something useful in it.
0%
0 0%
Bad, none of it is of any use
12.50%
1 12.50%
Total 8 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

How to Warden - A Rant
Started by Velor

5 posts in this topic
Velor

2 posts 2 threads Joined: Jan 2017
Lightbulb  01-28-2017, 05:26 PM -
Personally I feel there are two philosophies that work together to make a good warden.

Do not make the prisoners riot. Do not let the prisoners riot.

The warden exists to make a round fun. The warden does not seek amusement from torturing or making the prisoners suffer.
(Optionally) The warden must put the fun of the round over that of his guards and his own personal amusement.

To not make the prisoners riot I suggest the following.

Do not be boring.

So many times the wardens will do inane attempts to force the prisoners to behave.
"Crouch to x" "Crouch-walk to x" "Walk to x" "Stay crouched, crouchwalking, walking the entire round." "Do x every 5 seconds or I will kill you." "Do x while staring at the ceiling or floor or die."

These type of things are tiring and boring.

When people are tired and bored of the warden, they will promptly seek far more inticing, exciting, and fun things to do.

Rioting for example is risky. Risk often is fun. Rioting is usually more fun that playing or doing whatever the warden says.
If you take the risk to riot and you suceed, you, the prisoners, and fellow rioters, will usually feel a great amount of satisifcation or appreciation or both.

This in turn makes more riots and/or makes the warden double down on their commands and creates the possibility of making the round less fun for generally all parties in the long run.
Constant succesful riots drives away guards and wardens making more guards and wardens less promising. The prisoners will be driven away by the more and more restrictive wardens.

Constant ARs are generally bad for everyone. Just do ARs when its actually necessary.

More ARs means more focus from all parties on just remembering the ARs. This also means more paperwork and sifting through chat and logs for staff when reviving players. This means it will take longer and the prisoners will appear later and later than their actual death. This tends to throw off the warden which creates complications and confusion.

In addition, when you off a person at the begining of a round. And you're a boring warden. They now have to sit through all of that. Which will either turn them away, incline them to try harder to remember every single AR, or they'll just feel they're going to riot until they can suceed at rioting.

Also, don't do unnecessary ARs. Every so often I see "AR Sink, AR toilet, AR Window, AR Floor".

The only relevant AR was AR Floor. You could just say "Get on beds" and it would have prevented a freeday and do everything those ARs did except for the floor AR.
Doing irrelevent ARs just wastes time and draws more attention to ARs than to the actual round.

Do not let the prisoners riot.

Its pretty self explanatory. Don't just give them the oppertunity to riot.
This mostly comes in the form of slaying moronic guards that decide face hugging prisoners with knives, sitting in stacks, and other such lunacy are acceptable and good ideas.

So don't be afraid to ask for your guards to be slain when you order them to stay away from prisoners whom then stay very close to prisoners.

But, its good to have foresight when setting up guards and asking them to go to particular areas to make sure prisoners don't run off during transit.
E.g. on moon, you tell the prisoners to go to the arena. Ask the guards to guard the vents to the armoury before hand so the prisoners don't just run off into the armoury.

If you're playing just plainly as a guard though, you need to perform your duties right.
Don't leave weapons on the floor. Don't walk into dangerous places where prisoners are obviously present with weapons, so on.

Being a warden whom serves his purpose to make the round fun is a lot less rigid compared to what I talked about above.

Theres just a few key ideas about it.

Don't berate the prisoners, don't demean them.
Know and understand the rules.
Be calm, be polite.
Be fair, be ethical.
Use some variety, mix things up; you don't always have to be completely original. Just don't redress games and call them something different.

Anyways this is just something I wanted to post to help out wardens. Feel free to be critical and revise it.
Confucious would find Daoism to be Lao Zi.
Ranma
1/2 Admin

65 posts 5 threads Joined: Jan 2017
01-28-2017, 05:53 PM -
(01-28-2017, 05:26 PM)Velor Wrote: The warden does not seek amusement from torturing or making the prisoners suffer.

But that IS the amusing part!
Redconer
Juice Official

63 posts 2 threads Joined: Jan 2017
01-28-2017, 08:37 PM -
(01-28-2017, 05:53 PM)Ranma Wrote:
(01-28-2017, 05:26 PM)Velor Wrote: The warden does not seek amusement from torturing or making the prisoners suffer.

So that means wardens are sadists?
Rebldomakr (Moosh)

94 posts 12 threads Joined: Jan 2017
01-28-2017, 08:46 PM -
(01-28-2017, 08:37 PM)Redconer Wrote:
(01-28-2017, 05:53 PM)Ranma Wrote:

So that means wardens are sadists?

Why else would one be warden?

Also whilst I agree with this thread, I also find putting up with riots as warden to be a fun part of the game (and will sometimes even try and conjure a riot through ars, etc)
BLID: 44894
TorChatID: tetristuhegs7pwj
Padillac

103 posts 6 threads Joined: Jan 2017
01-28-2017, 09:42 PM -
If you are warden please don't use caps in every sentence.
Razer

68 posts 12 threads Joined: Jan 2017
02-03-2017, 09:11 PM -
preach
[Image: Razer.png]